Thursday, April 11, 2013

To-Go Tips Galore! -- Tip #2

What is your name?
[ degreed waitress ]

What is your quest?
To eradicate to-go food ordering stupidity.

What is your favorite color?
Teal! No, green! No! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

To-Go Tips Galore! Tip #2: Pay attention to what the person taking your order is saying.

I answered your call pleasantly, saying "[ my restaurant ] To-Go, thank you for holding. Can I get the name for your order please?"


What is your name?

[ photo credit ]
Guess what?! I didn't just say that same spiel for the seventy-third time tonight just for giggles and grins. No, there's actually a reason! I need your name first. So when you ignore my question and shoot off three or four rapid-fire orders all the while I'm trying to sneak in a repeat of the question, "Hold on a moment, ma'am, can I get your name please?" then you have the audacity to rudely snap "No! I'm not finished yet!" and keep ordering... then you have NO right to be pissed off when I politely state, "I'm sorry ma'am, but I can't take your order until I have your name." A super offended "Excuse me?" is NOT called for, but luckily you've finally shut up long enough for me to explain, "My computer system won't allow me to start a food order without a name for the order. Which is why I asked you for your name first. So what name can I put your order under?"
 
By the way, lady, in those few moments of deafening silence, I could just hear you shrink in embarrassment. And I kinda enjoyed it. So, uh, thanks for that ;)
 
[ p.s. Thanks also for sending your son to pick up the food. He's always really nice and tips really well. ]


[ degreed waitress ]

No comments:

Post a Comment